My Elusive Dream

My Elusive Dream

A happy home, filled with children’s laughter everywhere.
The mother singing their song softly, with husband close to her
He smiles at her and hums along while strumming his guitar
The children came in dancing, and screaming from afar.

The house was no castle but is paradise inside,
The sun on the rooftop beams gaily and bright
The flowers in the garden look radiant with pride
The leaves of the trees sway graciously with delight.

I painted the picture so perfectly in my mind
Everything is so wonderful, everything is so fine
I framed it with immense hope and finished with nice design
Then I wrapped it with tender care, faith and love combined.

I imagine the picture every night, before I sleep
The picture becomes vivid in the middle of my rest
The handsome smile of the husband soothes away my stress
His gentle voice conveys smitten passion and everlasting promises.

But he vanishes every time I hold out my hand to him
He becomes out of reach and leaves me feeling lame
I hug myself and stay awake till everything seems dim,
Then cry myself to sleep because of my elusive dream.

Then one day a storm comes and blows everything away
He tells me he loves me but not enough to make him stay
I reach out for him, begging low with bended knee
But like what always happens, he turns his back and walks away.

If I were smart enough, I wouldn’t have taken him upfront
I would have figured out how easily I could get hurt
How briefly he stayed, as quick as he first came
Now I could only wait and pray for him.

My husband…
Our home…
Our beautiful children…
They’re nothing real then,
But only my elusive dream.

No comments: